Saturday, June 1, 2013

... again!

Apparently announcing my return to the world of blogging is bad karma, so this time I'll tone it back to being cautiously optimistic. Instead, let me announce that I'm now a proud member of the Peregrine Labs rnd team. After years of doing hands on vfx it's a lot of fun bringing that experience to the software development side of the camp. It also means the re discovery of weekends, and some fresh motivation for tinkering with my own projects on the side.

While dusting off the Aurora code base, I've removed hundreds of lines of code while questioning the sanity of who ever wrote it. A couple of days later the engine now runs more than 3x faster, and I'm still ripping pieces out and replacing them with shinier ones, like this halton sequence implementation by Leonhard Grunchloss. I'm not sure exactly how much time I'll have for Aurora going forward, but I'll be sporadically updating whenever there are new things to show.

Here's a fun scene I found from an old CGTalk Lighting Challenge, modeled by Sapna Mondol:



It's a reasonably light weight and well organized scene with some good challenges, so I figured I'd try and use it as a base for further development.

Towards the top of the list are things like:
- Sub-division surfaces
- Displacement
- A brdf for metals
- And a good portion cleanup of the pre light transport pipeline.

-Espen

No comments:

Post a Comment